Day 300: Lima Peru
A few weeks ago I asked you to complete a reader survey and thanks so much to the over 200 people who took the time to give me feedback.
I was overwhelmed with your critique and support. During my digital detox with the Hare Krishnas I took your feedback into consideration and started working on my Year 2 Plan for Bacon is Magic.
First Big Change: New web site
The not-so-secret is that I have a new web site. Thanks to David Robert Hogg you no longer see white on black text or the crazy cluttered layout.
David patiently worked with me to create a site that reflected the tone of the site and helped steer me away from getting too freaky with the design.
During this time I also had a lot of support from others and want to give a big shout out to:
- Kylie Wellwood who created the logo and showed me how I could incorporate black and red into the design
- Michael from Go See Write who I harass constantly to vent and bounce ideas
- Chris from The Aussie Nomad who helps me understand all the technical aspects of blogging and fixes my site when I stupidly try to change coding myself
- Mike from Fevered Mutterings who constantly pulls me off the ledge when I start to doubt myself
- Sally from Unbrave Girl the funniest girl I know who inspires me to write better and helped me through tagline ideas
- Catherine Caine from Cash and Joy who untangled the mess in my head. I don’t think I´ve ever sworn on this blog but she’s fucking awesome and I’m so lucky Jade Craven introduced me to her
Second Big Change – New tagline
You probably didn’t notice my old lame tagline Food, travel, photography and everything in between but it had to go. The generic idea didn’t reflect me or differentiate my site.
I don’t see Bacon is Magic as a typical travel site. I may give some tips here and there but my goal isn’t to help you plan the perfect trip.
The real story is that I´m taking a chance to create the life I want and I hope it inspires you. It doesn’t mean you have to sell all your possessions and move to a foreign land – but to start doing things you want instead the things you think you should do.
Third Big Change – New monthly newsletter
I resisted a newsletter as most I’ve read just recap previous posts. It’s lame and I didn’t want to just have a newsletter for the sake of having one.
But lately I’ve seen some really great newsletters that I look forward to and want to read.
I’m making it monthly because I don’t want to inundate your inbox and I want to take the time to bring you my best work:
- writing that you won’t see on my site
- features of other people and organizations that inspire me that I really think you should know about
- sites, products, links like the TED Talk that I’ve come upon the last month that I really want to share
- and of course food, because life without food would just be boring
You’ve been sharing links, thoughts, ideas and I want the newsletter to be the hub of it all. It’s a pretty big undertaking and I hope you join the newsletter, all you have to do enter your email address on the right-hand side.
NOTE: I had a few people email me to ask if they already subscribe to the site by email do they have to sign up again? YES! I don’t want to assume that just because you read my site you also want this extra goodness – but then again why wouldn’t you?
P.S. I know that these photos have nothing to do with the post but I really like the fight between Mr. Bacon and Monsieur Tofu and I’ve never had a chance to use them!