Learn how to cook duck breast, it’s easier than you think
I love duck but it seemed like such an intimidating meat to cook, but it is easy, especially if it’s roasted duck breast.
If you want to learn how to cook duck this is a fantastic recipe. And of course classic French dishes always impress.
And as we’re on the cusp of autumn, roasted dishes are perfect for French themed dinner parties at home.
The key to great duck is having a delicious crispy skin while keeping a rosy pink breast.
It’s important to remember what side to cook (skin side down) and rest (flesh side down.
Searing the duck breast and finishing it in the oven is nearly foolproof.
Two duck breasts are really enough for a couple of meals.
We ate the duck the first time with dandelion greens tossed with parmesan. It reminded me of food in Paris, and two nights later we chopped up the leftovers and had it in a quick pasta.
Duck breast can and should be served rare. In this recipe we let the meat sit and then just heat it back up in the oven before serving.
- 1 6 oz duck breast
- 3 oz red wine good enough to drink
- 2 oz duck jus
- 3 shallots sliced
- 4-5 sprigs Thyme
- 2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Pat the duck breasts dry with a paper towel.
- Score duck breast and season with kosher salt.
- Turn pan on medium heat.
- Place duck fat side down in dry pan. Render slowly until fat is cooked a light golden colour. Place in 400 degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until an internal temperature of 135F.
- Add herbs to the pan and baste duck breast with its own fat. Leave duck breast fat side down. Place in 400 degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until an internal temperature of 135F.
- Flip duck breast over, remove from pan and rest for 10 minutes.
- Place pan back on medium heat, saute herbs. Deglaze pan with red wine, reduce by 2/3. Add duck jus. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Return duck to oven in separate pan to 3 minute to rewarm. Slice duck breast and serve immediately with jus on warm plates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 118Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 738mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although BaconisMagic.ca attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.