Last week I was invited to K’s for drinks and made one of her favourite appetizers, black pepper biscotti.
To be honest I’m not a fan of them but others love them and biscotti recipe is pretty easy to make so they have become my go-to recipe.
The original biscotti recipe for Parmesan Black Pepper is from Epicurious.
Although not pictured above I have been improving upon it by putting fresh rosemary in it and using other cheese.
I use a food processor but you could use a bowl and do it by hand.
These also freeze really well so you can make well in advance and just bring them out as needed.
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cups all-purpose flour plus additional for dusting
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons Salt
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3/8 cup cold unsalted butter
- 2 in eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cheese, rosemary and black pepper in a large bowl. Blend in butter on pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 1.5 eggs with milk and add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and break into two even parts. Flour hands and form each piece into a slightly flattened 12-inch-long log (about 2 inches wide and 3/4 inch high). Transfer to baking sheet.
- Brush remaining egg and brush over logs, then sprinkle tops of logs evenly with a bit of cheese and ground pepper. Bake until logs are pale golden and firm, about 30 minutes total. Cool logs to warm on sheets on a rack, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.
- Carefully transfer warm logs to a cutting board and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange slices, cut sides down, in one layer on a baking sheet. Bake, turning over once, until golden and crisp, 35 to 45 minutes total. Cool biscotti on baking sheets on racks, about 15 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 455mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although BaconisMagic.ca attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.