Take your barbecue up a notch and ditch the burgers for grilled steak with salsa verde.
No doubt we’ve all been a Canada Day barbecue with burgers and hot dogs. If you’re lucky there may be sausages.
But when serving dinner you can be a slave to the grill trying to time all of the different proteins so that everyone can eat at the same time.
Serving steak at your barbecue is smart for a few reasons:
- You make friends with steak. This is not just a burgers and hot dog kind of party.
- You can focus on one thing. Cook the steak perfectly. Slice it thinly and serve it on a platter with a great salsa verde.
- For the inevitable friend who insists their meat should be well done. Give them some sriracha hummus while they wait. You can take a few slices and throw it on the grill while everyone else enjoys delicious medium rare.
Now onto the condiments. People I LOVE ketchup.
I love it so much Dave bought me a t-shirt that says “Got Ketchup” but as much as I love it, this isn’t the time to break it out.
I’ve got something better.
It’s a fresh Italian green herb sauce that LOVES steak.
It’s cold and uncooked but provides tons of flavour. The best part is that it takes 30 seconds to make it in a food processor or blender and you can make it in advance.
La dolce vita. The sweet life is when you serve grilled steak with salsa verde.
Indulge your friends with very little effort.
9 Tips for the Perfect Steak
- Buy it from the experts, go to a butcher shop to buy high quality meat.
- Marinate it one day in advance.
- Take it out of the fridge 30-40 minutes before cooking to bring it to room temperature.
- No need to use “steak spice” simply liberally season with kosher salt before grilling. Do not use pepper, it’s a berry and if there’s a flare up it will burn.
- Use a temperature probe to cook the steak to 10 degrees less than the desired temperature. You want to account for “carry over” cooking time as it rests.
- Rest it for 10 minutes covered with aluminum foil.
- Just before serving flash it on the grill to warm it back up.
- Use a sharp knife to cut slices against the grain.
- Season again with finishing salt like Maldon or this great grey sea salt along with freshly ground black pepper.
Speaking of indulgence… Canada Day is the start to summer. Warmer than Victoria Day in weekend, everyone is ready to have a good time and most of us take it just a bit too far.
It seems like a good time, we’re out in the sun and our pasty pale skin begins to be a distant memory.
But if you’re like us and not in your 20s anymore, the no holds barred approach to eating can backfire.
We always have at least two bottles of Pepto-Bismol in our house.
Because you don’t want to be caught with only a drop in the bottle – especially when you’re having friends over for dinner.
Grilled Steak with Salsa Verde
We’ve included a very traditional Italian salsa verde sauce. However, outside Italy it is a very flexible sauce.
Sometimes you will see a bit of mustard or spice – both would be fantastic. Make the base sauce and add whatever you love to it.
- 2 flank steaks
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- SALSA VERDE
- 2 cups parsley
- 2/3 cup extra virgin oliveoil
- 2 tbsp capers
- 4 anchovy filets
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
Marinate steak in oil and vinegar for 24 hours.
Remove from fridge 20 minutes beforehand and pat dry. Season with kosher salt (no pepper as it will burn).
Place on the grill, cook 3-4 minutes each side.
Remove and rest with foil for 5 minutes.
- Place all ingredients (only half of the olive oil in a blender or food processor. Blend 30 seconds, slowly pouring in
remaining oil, until throughly blended.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 187mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 17g
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although BaconisMagic.ca attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
Pin it For Later: Steak with Salsa Verde
Disclosure: We approached Pepto-Bismol to sponsor our Canada Day Entertaining Guide because we use and love their product. And we were thrilled that they came on board as our presenting sponsor. Earlier this year they supported our cochinita pibil – Mexican pulled pork and gochujang ribs posts. We are thrilled to share this grilled steak with salsa verde post and thank them for continuing to support us.
Want more beef recipes for a crowd? Check Out