This Mexican pozole rojo, or red pozole, is rich and warming. Serve it with lettuce, radish, avocado, lime and of course tortillas.
Cinco de Mayo is approaching and I’m nowhere near Mexico! But I’ve learned how to make pozole so that’s second best.
Granted Cinco de Mayo is more of an American holiday than one in Mexico but it is celebrated in some regions in Mexico. And really do we need an excuse to make pozole?
Posole is surprisingly easy to make. It was one of my favourite things to eat in Mexico.
I’ve always said I wanted to make it at home but I had no idea making posole would be so simple.
Mexican Pozole Soup
- 5 lb pork shoulder
- 2 lbs white hominy drained and rinsed
- 2 oz dried Mexican chiles
- 1 vidalia onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1.5 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 bay leaves
- Remove seeds from chiles and toast in a cast iron pan. Soak chiles in a bowl until tender and then take liquid and blend until smooth.
- Chop onion and garlic. Cube meat into 1 inch pieces.
- Heat a bit of oil on medium high heat and sear pork shoulder. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Saute onion with cumin, oregano and bay leaf for 2 minutes add garlic and saute an additional minute.
- Add seared pork shoulder, hominy and chile liquid back to pot. Simmer for one hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Don’t forget the condiments! Posole is all about the condiments so make sure you have small bowls of this on hand: sliced radishes, raw onion, avocado, lime, tortillas, thinly sliced cabbage, cilantro.
You can substitute chicken in this recipe or make it vegetarian with no meat at all.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 Amount Per Serving: Calories: 105Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 397mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although BaconisMagic.ca attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.