Many cultures have a version of comforting chicken soup.
This classic Yucatecan lime soup with crispy tortillas became a quick favourite of mine as I searched for lighter Mexican fare.
Coincidentally it also fit well into my budget as a bowl cost 18 pesos and made for a bargain lunch.
Foods in Mexico/a>
Rick Bayless, also known as Top Chef of the Masters Series, is passionate about Mexican food. There’s no one better to scoff a recipe from than him:
Birria – Mexican Stew
How to Make Posole – with a bonus video
Sopa de Lima Recipe
- 12 nacho chips, crumbled into smaller pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 celery rib thinly sliced
- 1 carrot thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano crumbled
- 1 large tomato peeled and chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock or canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 3 limes juiced (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 large avocado peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to a large saucepan and add the chopped onion, celery, carrot, and jalapeno pepper.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaf, and Mexican oregano and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato and season lightly with salt. Cook, stirring, until the tomato is softened and has released its liquid and the mixture is nearly dry, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and chicken breasts and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a slow simmer and cook until the chicken is just cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove chicken from the soup and set aside until cool enough to handle. Allow soup to continue simmering.
- When the chicken has cooled a bit, shred into bite size pieces and return to the pot along with the green onions and lime juice.
- Cook for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is heated through and the soup is piping hot.
- Season the soup, to taste, with salt and ladle the soup into wide soup bowls, with a handful of tortilla strips added to each bowl. Garnish with the avocado and cilantro and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 306mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 23g
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although BaconisMagic.ca attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.